A wonderful side to a cup of dark roast french-ly pressed coffee or tea. Unlike most other baked goods I make, I actually prefer these after they are cooled. They hold up well and last pretty much forever, if they don’t get eaten that is.
– 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 2-3 teaspoons lemon zest
– 2 teaspoons vanilla
– A couple drops of lemon extract
– 1/4 teaspoon ginger (more if you want a stronger flavor)
– 2 cups flour
1. Beat together the first four ingredients till smooth and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla, lemon extract, and ginger and combine.
3. Slowly add flour, and mix till just combined. It will probably be crumbly.
4. Press dough together with your hand inside the bowl until it is united enough to put out on a flat surface. Press into a rectangle and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
5. About 20 minutes before dough is ready, preheat oven to 325*. Once dough is chilled, roll out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with sugar and cut into squares or circles or stars or diamonds or whatever suits your fancy.
6. Bake for 20-22 minutes, till edges are slightly brown. These got a little darker than I would have preferred. Watch them carefully, since once they start browning, they brown FAST. Let cool on the baking trays for 3 minutes before transferring to cooling racks. Store in an airtight container.