This is so fresh and light, yet robust and flavorful. You can use chicken or beef; I think that beef would probably soak up the flavor a little bit more than the chicken did, but I had a chicken breast I needed to use. Play around with it and see what suits you best!
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves, plus extra for serving
- 1/4 cup lime juice, about 2 limes
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded if desired
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2-pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 orange and/or yellow bell peppers, quartered, seeds removed
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fat-free Greek Yogurt
- 12 corn tortillas
- Shredded cheese
1. Put the cilantro, lime juice, broth, scallions, garlic, jalapeno, honey, and salt in a blender, puree until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons; do not wash out the blender.
Put chicken breasts in a medium bowl and the peppers and onions in another. Divide the remaining cilantro puree evenly between the chicken and the peppers and onions. Toss well to coat the chicken and vegetables and let stand, at room temperature, for 30 minutes.
2. Add the avocado, 1/2 cup water, and the reserved 2 tablespoons cilantro sauce to the blender. Puree until smooth and season with salt. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a small skillet set over medium heat until hot. Add the cumin and coriander and continue to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour the spices over the yogurt and set aside for the flavors to blend. Do not stir until ready to serve.
4. Preheat a grill for medium-high/direct heat cooking. Grill the chicken and peppers about 5 to 8 minutes for the vegetables and 12 to 15 minutes for the chicken. Saute onions in a frying pan till translucent. Let chicken rest 5 minutes. Place the tortillas on the grill until just warmed through.
5. To assemble the fajitas: slice the onions and peppers into thin strips and then slice the chicken. Place some peppers, onions, chicken, spinach, shredded cheese and cilantro in a tortilla topped with the spiced yogurt and the avocado sauce.