I made this last week when I was sick and craving something sweet-ish but not sugary. A couple modifications of this http://bit.ly/hEnA1m recipe, and voila: sugar-free and still delish. I was happy as well as healthy.
( I have a 12 inch Lodge cast iron pan instead of a 9-inch, so I increased the original recipe a bit and it filled out just fine.)
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 cup whole wheat flour
– 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
– 1 tablespoon baking powder
– A shy 1 teaspoon baking soda
– A heaping 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3 eggs
– 1/2 cup honey (use a heaping 3/4 cup if no maple syrup)
– An overflowing 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (no Aunt Jemima’s)
– 1 cup milk
– 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
– 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
Mix dry ingredients together.
Mix wet ingredients together with butter.
Mix dry and wet ingredients together, stirring gently till most of the flour clumps are gone.
Pour into cast iron pan, and slide onto the center rack of your oven for about 30 minutes, till a knife through the center comes out clean.Let cool for a bit, but not too long. It’s best warm.